Tuesday, August 11, 2015

In Memory of Some Delicious Paella

I am glad to be back in the US with my friends and family, but I sure do miss Spain. Tonight's post is in memory of the delicious paella I was able to cook during my time there. I made seafood paella back when I cooked Spain for my Meals Around the World Project, and I wanted to try another variety. Originally paella was made using meats and then later on seafood was added into the mix. Paella mixta, or mixed paella is a delicious combination of delicious fresh seafood along with tender chicken and my new favorite meat, rabbit. Enjoy!



 
 
Paella Mixta
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Spanish paprika
pinch of saffron
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup rice (preferably bomba or calasparra)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cups water or broth
2 red bell peppers, pitted and diced
1 banana pepper, pitted and diced
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 ounces prawns
4 ounces squid, beaks and innards removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
4 ounces fish fillets, cubed
4 ounces squid rings
4 ounces mussels
4 ounces clams (I used hard clams and langostillas)
½ cup green peas
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sautéing for about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and peppers. Cook for another 5 minutes. Pour in the broth, chicken, rabbit, and seasonings. Mix everything together and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 40 minutes. Add the rice, fish, squid and clams. Cook until the rice is done and all the moisture has been absorbed. Add the prawns, mussels, and peas. Cook for another 5 minutes until the seafood is cooked through. (The mussels will open up.) Remove the pan from the heat and cover. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment