Saturday, June 20, 2015

Grits and Eggs with a Twist

Spain has been keeping me very busy with sights to see, classes to take, and countless other things to do. I have sadly fallen a bit behind on my posting, but I have so many wonderful things to share! The food here is amazing, the people are friendly, and the weather is great. I don't ever want to leave! I do miss some things about home like AC, paper towels, and my family who is currently vacationing at Disneyland without me. I created this snack one afternoon after classes to tie in my new temporary home with my old. It's a twist off the classic southern breakfast of grits, eggs, and bacon. This time the grits are dressed up with Iberian ham and Spanish cheese. It's delicious!

ff



Grits and Eggs Spanish Style
serves 1
¼ cup quick cooking grits
½ cup water
6 tbsp milk
2 eggs
2 tsp olive oil
2 ounces Serrano ham, diced
1 ounce shredded hard Spanish cheese such as manchego
salt and pepper, to taste

Bring the milk and water to a simmer and cook the grits until your desired consistency has been reached, about 3 minutes. Remove the grits from the heat and stir in the cheese, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and ham. Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Whisk the eggs togeteher in a bowl and pour into the pan. Wait for the eggs to set before scrambling them up. Tops the grits with the eggs and season to taste.



gr

Alicante is currently in the midst of their huge fiesta held every year at the end of June. It's called Las Hogueras (bonfires) and is a big deal. There are fireworks and crackers let off constantly, huge statues are being built, the road has been turned into a big dining hall, and people are everywhere. It's like a week-long party. On Wednesday all the beautiful statue/figures will be set on fire and firemen will douse everyone in water. This all happens at midnight just like the firework shows and parties. The Spaniards never sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment