Monday, April 27, 2015

Creative Nachos

Have you ever tried lentils? I used to be afraid of the tiny, pebble-like brown legumes, but now I know better than to judge a food by its appearance. Lentils are full of protein and fiber, have a great texture, and are super versatile. I use them all the time for soups and stews, and I thought it was about time for me to try something new. I had some amazing Mexican Chihuahua cheese and I was in the mood for nachos. Unfortunately, we had no ground beef. My creative solution turned out to be better than I could have hoped for. Lentil nachos for the win!

Lentil Nachos (2)
 
Lentil Nachos
serves 1
½ cup lentils
1 cup chicken stock
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp roasted bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp oil
¼ tsp cumin
dash of ground coriander
dash of cayenne pepper powder
salt and pepper, to taste
grated Chihuahua cheese
tortilla chips

Heat the oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Pour in the stock, seasonings, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Stir every so often. If all the liquid has not evaporated after 20 minutes, remove the lid and cook over medium heat until all the stock has evaporated. Arrange the chips on a plate and top with the cheese. Microwave until the cheese melts, about a minute. Add on the lentils and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment