Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Saint Patrick's Day with a Thai Twist

Happy Saint Patrick's Day! I'm not Irish, I don't drink, and I even forgot to wear green today, but I thought that at least I would post a green themed dinner tonight. My motivation was to counter the horrific green things that the cafeteria on campus concocted today. Don't get me wrong, I love the head chef, and he is an amazing cook. I just get a little freaked out with green eggs. I know they are just regular eggs that have food coloring, but I just can't mentally handle it. Also, they served cabbage and meatloaf for dinner. Most picky college kids don't go for this, so they all came to eat at the Lex where I was working. Let's just say I am not too thrilled with the results of the "Irish" feast. I am here to share a naturally green and even more delicious Saint Patrick's Day feast inspired by the opposite side of the world. Who's up for green curry and zucchini noodles? (Probably not picky college students, but I sure am!)

DSC_0190[1]
This meal is green to the extreme. Yummy green curry loaded with spinach, chicken, onions, and zucchini sits atop a bed of pasta and zucchini noodles. The best part is that the curry cooks up in the slow cooker, and the zucchini noodles and pasta can be cooked in a flash to make a fast and easy weeknight meal. You can enjoy your meatloaf, green eggs, and boiled cabbage, but I think I will stick to my yummy curry. :)
 
 
DSC_0179[1]


Slow Cooker Green Curry Chicken over Green Noodles
For the curry:
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast, cubed
3 tbsp Thai green curry
2 cups chicken broth
1- 15 ounce can coconut milk
1- 10 ounce bag frozen spinach
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp fish sauce

For the noodles:
1 package spaghetti noodles
3-4 large zucchini, julienned

To make the curry, heat the oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add the onions and cook for about 8 minutes until they are tender and golden. Stir in the curry and fish sauce. Pour in about ¼ cup of broth and whisk it well. Add everything to a large crockpot and cook on high for 6 hours.

To make the noodles, cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the box. During the last 3 minutes of boiling, toss in the zucchini noodles. Drain well and serve topped with the curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment