Sunday, March 1, 2015

A Stew to Beat the Flu

I have been so sick the last few days. Ugh. Throwing up is the worst, and being nauseous all day long is not better. I seem to be on the mend, though, so hopefully I will be back to my usual perky self tomorrow. I have the best roommates ever who have taken great care of me. They did my dishes, laundry, and even took me to the doctor. It's almost like having my mamma here with me.. (But not quite.) It has also been good just to have a couple of days to relax. I never take time to just sit and catch up on sleep. My body really needed it. I guess there are always good things that come from the bad. Today's recipe is nutrient dense, protein packed, and warm and comforting. It could fight off any bad flu or yucky cold. It's always nice to have something warm and settling to help you regain strength after sickness. (After the puking ends, of course.) This stew fits the bill completely.

Quick Farro Chicken Stew (4)
 
Quick Farro Chicken Stew
serves 2-3         
1 cup cooked faro
1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 cup tomato sauce
dash of garlic powder
¼ cup thinly sliced onions
¼ cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
1 tsp oil
3 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
2 tbsp parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
 
Heat the oil over medium high heat in a saucepan. Add the onions and peppers. Cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, garlic powder, chicken, and faro. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Season to serve and top with the cheese and parsley.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment