Thursday, March 5, 2015

A Room Full of Birthdays!

Yesterday was my roommate Anna's birthday, and tomorrow is my roommate Hannah's. I thought that I would do a combined birthday post to celebrate both of them. They are each such amazing, godly, and kind young ladies (well not so young anymore now that they're 20!), and I am so blessed to be able to live with them. Hannah and I have been together for the past two years. We were matched as freshmen. The roommate selectors of Union knew what they were doing when they put us together. We get along great. I can't say that Hannah is my favorite roommate anymore, but she makes the top three. :) We chose to add Rachel and Anna to our duo this year, and it has turned out to have been a great decision. I thank God every day for the opportunity to live with these three girls. They are amazing!


DSC_0288[1]
This is the card I made Hannah for tomorrow and below is the cake I made Anna. Hannah loves all things purple, so I knew I had to incorporate that color somehow. Hannah's is the purple card on the left. (I sent the other to my aunt Donna.) I thought the candles were fun to make, and the sentiment of "celebrating you!" really captures the birthday mood. Anna requested a chocolate chip cookie cake, and I was happy to oblige. I made the letter "A" out of caramel centered Hershey's kisses before baking the cake to decorate it a little. The secret ingredient to this cake is cornstarch. Even though I only use 2 teaspoons, it really does a lot to enhance the flavor. Let's eat cake! (Or a giant cookie, to be more precise.)
 
 
DSC_0302[1]
 
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
¾ cup softened butter
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tsp cornstarch
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 cups chocolate chips
 
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and oil a 9” cake pan. Cream together the butter and sugars. Once they are fully mixed, beat in the egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until completely incorporated but not over mixed. Add the chocolate chips. Spread the dough into the pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment