Saturday, December 13, 2014

A Birthday Breakfast in Bed (Well, Sort of.....)

Today I made my mom breakfast in bed to celebrate her birthday. At least that was my intention. It was a little bit of a fail because her birthday was last Saturday while I was still at school and since I am still on central time, she woke up quite a few hours before me. Although the birthday and bed part were not on par, the breakfast part was perfection. I had originally planned to make her coconut French toast, but a sudden change of plans led me down the Belgian waffle route. A Browned Butter Coconut Belgian Waffles with Cranberries and Pecans route to be exact. In other words, a recipe made in heaven. These waffles would be perfect for a Christmas brunch, New Year's breakfast, or any morning when you are in the mood to indulge. Enjoy!


DSC_0004[1]

 
Browned Butter Coconut Belgian Waffles with Cranberries and Pecans
makes 5 full waffles (20 triangles)
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 egg yolks
2 eggs
1- 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
¾ cup butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
¾ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup chopped pecans, toasted
more coconut, pecans, and syrup to top
 
In large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Swirl it every so often for about 8-10 minutes until foam separates up to the top. Pour the butter into a mixing bowl and scoop off the foam. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, coconut milk, browned butter, and vanilla together. Combine all the ingredients, stirring until just mixed. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes. Preheat your waffle iron, and pour 1 cup of the mixture onto the hot iron. Cook according to your preference. Serve topped with pecans, coconut, and hot maple syrup.

 
 
Now that the holidays are in full swing, you can expect a new card every day. I am chugging them out faster than I can blog about them. Right now I am really behind on thank you cards for some relatives and my Sunday school class. I just love this Martha Stewart paper stack that I have with stockings and all sorts of other Christmas themed pages. I went with a stocking theme for this card, and there is even a little stocking at the bottom of the page when you open it up.
 
DSC_0012[2]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment