Tuesday, December 16, 2014

There's no such thing as too much dressing.

My aunt made some delicious dressing for us when we visited on Thanksgiving. I begged her for the recipe, and she kindly shared it with me. I thought no one could beat her sister's (my grandma) cornbread dressing, but I was amazed at how delicious her dressing was. At first I was a little scared to try it. Canned oysters generally are not my thing, and I was afraid that the dressing would taste like a giant, mushy oyster. Thankfully it did not, and I liked the dressing so much that I had to make it for myself. I used her recipe, but made my own bread crumbs and seasonings instead of using a boxed stuffing mix. I wanted to share the recipe with you all so that you can bring this southern classic to your Christmas table.
 
 
Oyster Dressing (3)



Oyster Dressing
14 ounces slices of sandwich bread, cut into ½” cubes and toasted
2 tsp dried rosemary
2 tsp dried ground sage
1 tsp dried thyme
2- 14 ounce cans chicken broth
2 eggs
2- 8 ounce cans oysters
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp oil

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and oil a 9X13” baking dish. Heat a skillet over medium heat with the oil. Add the onions and cook until golden, about 8 minutes. Toss the seasonings with the bread cubes in a large bowl. Drain the oysters, reserving the oyster water. Cut the oysters into small pieces and mix them and the onions into the bread cubes. Whisk the eggs, broth, and oyster water together. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 50 minutes. Increase the temperature to 400 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes. Allow the dressing to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
 

DSC_0019[1]
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This card has a funny story behind it. I made it as a thank you card to my uncle Brad who I saw at Aunt Eva's house on Thanksgiving. You can tell how long it had been since I had last seen him because he gave me my graduation card on Thanksgiving day. Not that I wasn't thankful, but I'm closer to my college graduation than my high school graduation. I guess he was just trying to kill two birds at once. Either way, I appreciated getting some unexpected cash, and I wanted to share my appreciation with this snowman card. Isn't he cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment