Saturday, October 4, 2014

Coconut Flour!!!!!

The five pound bag of coconut flour I ordered off of Amazon just came in the other day. I had never bought, cooked with, or even tried coconut flour before, so this was an all or nothing deal. I am not too much of a coconut fan, so I was a little nervous. I have been seeing so many recipes using coconut flour lately, so my curiosity got the better of my concerns. That's why a five pound bag of coconut flour now sits in my pantry.



What was the first thing that I made with my new ingredient? Muffins of course! Light, moist, coconutty, these muffins are like a taste of the tropics. All I can say is wow. Don't be shocked by the amount of liquid in this recipe. I learned really quickly that coconut flour absorbs TONS of water. I was concerned my batter would be too dry.

DSC_0230[1]

Coconut Muffins
makes 2 dozen
2 cups rolled oats, blended into a flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup coconut flour
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
2 cups milk or coconut milk
1 cup applesauce
2 eggs
¼ cup coconut oil, melted

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and oil a muffin pan. Mix the flour, oat flour, coconut flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together. Whisk the milk together with the eggs, oil, and applesauce. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring until just mixed. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin pans. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins sit for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely

No comments:

Post a Comment