Saturday, September 6, 2014

Lazy Day Scones

Delicate scones straight from the oven, a nice cup of tea, birds chirping as I sit on my screened porch looking out at my grand pecan tree and lounging in my whicker rocking chair....

Ok, let's be real here. I don't have a screened in back porch, the pecans in these scones did not come from my own pecan tree (they did come from my grandma's, however), and as a full time college student working 3 jobs, I really don't have time like that to relax. These scones are a little bite of heaven that, maybe for just a minute, will help you forget your worries.

date pecan scones (6)

 
They harken back to a less hectic day. (I even used the china plates that my great grandmother gave to my mom for her wedding shower.) Filled with sweet dates and pecans, you will forget about all the mess on your counter waiting for you as you dive into them straight from the oven.

date pecan scones (5)
 
Pecan Date Scones
makes 12
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp shortening
¾ cup butter
5 ounces buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup chopped pecans
¾ cup chopped dates
 
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar together. Cut the butter into cubes, and mix it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender. Whisk the vanilla, buttermilk, and shortening together. Once the dough is crumbly, add in the buttermilk mixture along with the pecans and dates. Mix until just combined. Divide the dough into 3 portions and roll out 1” thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut each round into four sections. Arrange 1” apart on a baking stone. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow the scones to rest for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan.

 
P.S. My mom, Sydney, and Harper did not want anything to do with the dates in these. After one bite they are now all die hard date lovers. Do not be afraid, bring on the dates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment