Sunday, August 17, 2014

Minnie Mouse Topiary

This is my first post as a junior back at college! I'm so pumped for classes to start, to see all my friends, and to get back into the swing of college life. I moved in this morning, and have spent the day unpacking and organizing. It was hard to say goodbye to Harper and my mom who brought me down, but I was ready to come back and start the new semester. My roommate Hannah and I have been able to catch up from the summer, and I am so excited to get to know my two new roommates, Anna and Rachel, better. The four of us are going to have so much fun this year!!


DSC_0109
 
Anyway, let's talk topiaries. Minnie Mouse topiaries to be exact. Not your usual green vegetation, this topiary is centered around everyone's favorite girly mouse. Let's just call it a pink explosion to go along with Carson's Minnie Mouse birthday party theme.

029 (2)
 
To make our beautiful centerpiece, we just cut out 4" of a variety of ribbon. (We used 6 different types.) Make the ribbons into loops secured with a dab of hot glue. If your ribbon is super skinny, make your cuts an inch or so shorter just so the loops are about the same size as those made with the thicker ribbon. Attach two smaller Styrofoam balls to a larger one with toothpicks and glue. Randomly hot glue the ribbon loops all over your Styrofoam head.  

032 (3)
 
To finish off, wrap black ribbon around a wooden dowel. Stick it into your Minnie Mouse head. Secure another piece of Styrofoam into a small pot or other base of your choosing. Stick the other end of the dowel into it. Cover with little round balls or colorful sugar coated chocolates.
 
DSC_0104
 
Ta-da!! You have an amazing topiary. It only takes a few hours, several runs to Michael's, and some burnt fingers. Trust me, it's worth it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment