Monday, June 9, 2014

Disney Review: Boatwright's Dining Hall

My mom planned a special meal for each person in our family in a restaurant that we requested or she thought that we would enjoy. Sydney's dinner was in France, Harper got to eat in the castle with the princesses, my mom got to go to the Kona Café, and my dad chose to eat at Boatwright's. (Carson apparently had no say in any of our dining destinations. She just went with it.) We had eaten in Boatwright's a few times before, and my dad loved the home-style southern cuisine. Boatwright's is a little off the beaten path, located in the Port Orleans Riverside resort.

boat

The meal started with some cornbread. It was more of a sweet cake than true southern cornbread. No one really liked it. I think it set the stage for the remainder of our meal...

boatwrigh

My dad ordered the Voodoo Chicken (Slow-cooked Shrimp, Andouille Sausage, and Chicken in a spicy Sauce served over Rice) last time that we went to Boatwright's in 2010. He loved the dish back then, but was quite disappointed with it this time around. He said that they changed the way that they made the dish. It used to be baked chicken, not fried, and the sauce was all over the chicken with a redder hue.


My mom loved her dinner of Shrimp and Grits (Sautéed Shrimp with Vegetables, Tasso Ham, and fresh Herbs served over creamy Cheese Grits). She said it was creamy, and melt in your mouth delicious. Everyone agreed that it was the best out of all the meals we ordered that night. Carson ate about half of it, and Sydney eyed it jealously the whole time.

boatw
 
Sydney also said her meal was good. She had the Crawfish Ètouffée (Crawfish simmered in a rich Seafood Sauce over Rice). My dad said that it was not true Cajun etouffee as the sauce was not dark enough. It was a huge serving, and Sydney wasn't even able to make a dent in it.


boatwri
 
I thought that I had found the only thing on the menu without tomatoes, but I was wrong. The meal was supposed to be a Grilled New York Strip with Brandy-Peppercorn Glaze and Yukon Gold Potatoes, Arugula, and Balsamic Vinaigrette. Once the tomatoes were taken out, I was served a piece of steak and lettuce. I was not too impressed.

boatwrights
 
Harper did not like her pizza. She said the cheese was gross. I guess that's what you get from a child that has only been served high quality cheese all her life. (It's practically a sin to buy pre shredded cheese at our house.) Too bad they did not serve chicken nuggets.


We all agreed that we will not be returning to Boatwright's on our next trip to Disney. I'm not saying that it is an awful restaurant, but there are so many better places to dine in and around the parks that Boatwright's just does not measure up.

No comments:

Post a Comment