Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Recap of My Birthday and an Frozen Yogurt Recipe

Yesterday was my 19th birthday. I know it sounds a little strange (ok, a lot strange), but what I wanted for my birthday was a trip up to Cleveland to visit Lakeview Cemetery (where former President Garfield and Rockefeller are buried) and Whole Foods (the best grocery store ever!). To make myself seem a little less crazy, I'm a history buff, and Garfield's monument is really cool with four floors you can visit and a balcony that has a great view of Cleveland. The cemetery is also huge, very nice, and well taken care of. People go their for picnics, enjoy the afternoon strolling around, and even get married there. (I think the last one is a bit weird creepy, but everyone likes different things... I'd rather get married in Disney than surrounded by a bunch of dead people, but that's my own opinion.) I needed to make a run to Whole Foods for my Meals Around the World Project because our local grocery store does not stock some of the ingredients I need. I also like to look around Whole Foods. It's an awesome place. Anyway, I had a great birthday, but it is time to move on to more important matters.


oatmeal raisin cookie frozen yogurt (1)
 
More important things like frozen yogurt.
 
Oatmeal raisin frozen yogurt, to be precise. Thick and creamy with raisins spread throughout and a slight hint of nuttiness from the oats. It's magical stuff, especially for a hot day in June. Whether it's a birthday treat or a way to cool off after a stressful week, this frozen yogurt is good to go.
 
 
oatmeal raisin cookie frozen yogurt (1)  
 
Oatmeal Raisin Frozen Yogurt
2 cups rolled oats
4 ¼ cups plain Greek yogurt
2 ¾ cups milk
½ cup honey
¼ cup applesauce
½ cup brown sugar
dash of salt
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup raisins
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup white sugar
 
 
Soak the raisins in the hot water 1/4 cup sugar for 10 minutes. Blend the oats in a high speed blender until they reach a flour-like consistency. Combine all the ingredients except for the raisins into the blender and blend until well incorporated. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Using an ice cream machine (mine is a Cuisinart), pour your frozen yogurt base into the machine while it is running. I had to make it in two batches, using half the yogurt mixture each time. Run the machine for 15 minutes. Add in the raisins while the machine is still running, and churn for 5 minutes. Once the yogurt has been churned, enjoy immediately as soft serve, or freeze for 3 hours to make it real frozen yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment