Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sweet Potato Hummus: A Sweet Surprise

I did not really know how this hummus recipe was going to go over taste wise. I am not much of a sweet potato (or any potato) fan, and I don't really like the taste of chickpeas either. (Plain hummus is not my thing.) Maybe I should not be so picky, but the truth is that my tongue likes what it likes. Anyway, some freak miracle must have happened when I combined all of the ingredients for this hummus in my food processor. Somehow the resulting dip was delicious. What did I learn? Never be afraid to try something new. Even things that seem like they will be gross might taste amazing.

sweet potato hummus (3)
 
Sweet Potato Hummus
makes 2 cups
2 cups cooked chickpeas
½ cup mashed cooked sweet potato (about 1 large or 2 small)
3 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
½ tsp sea salt
4-6 tbsp olive oil or water, as needed
 
Combine all the ingredients into a high speed blender, and blend until everything is fully incorporated ad there are no more lumps. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour before serving topped with a drizzle of additional olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment