Monday, March 17, 2014

Irish nachos?

Today was a pretty tough day at work. I just got back from my six hour dinner shift. We were packed the entire time. I blame the cafeteria for this. (I work in the diner themed restaurant on campus right next to our big cafeteria.) They were serving Irish themed fare tonight, but I think they were a little confused. People were coming into the diner with horror stories of the Irish nachos being served in the dining hall.

Irish nachos?

Yes, unfortunately you heard me correctly. My roommate was actually brave enough to venture into the cafeteria to get a close up and sample this horrifically anti-Irish feast. She reported to me that most people stuck with cereal.


Guacamole Hummus (4)


Unfortunately I do not have an Irish nacho recipe to share with you tonight. I do have a somewhat festive dip that would go well with real nachos: guacamole hummus! This stuff is delicious on tortilla chips, pita chips, carrots, or whatever else you can get your hands on. Maybe even potatoes. :)
Guacamole Hummus (6)
 
 
Guacamole Hummus
makes about 1 ½ - 2 cups
½ cup dry chickpeas
2 large cloves of garlic
1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
small handful of fresh cilantro
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
dash of cayenne pepper powder
salt and pepper, to taste
 
Put the chickpeas in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil for two minutes, cover, and remove from the heat. Allow the chickpeas to soak in the hot water for 1 hour. Drain and rinse the soaked chickpeas. Combine them with 2 cups water. Simmer over medium low heat with the lid tilted to let some steam escape until all the water has been absorbed, about 1 ½ to 2 hours. Put the garlic on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 45 seconds. Combine all the ingredients into a food processor. Process until creamy. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment