Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hummus, hummus, and more hummus

If you cannot tell, I am a bit of a hummus fanatic as of late. I found a pin on Pinterest that had a bunch of different ways you could make hummus. I decided to try some of my own unique hummus recipes/ combinations. That's why I have so many hummus recipes to share. I have been experimenting. Today's hummus recipe was one of my favorites. I did not know how it would turn out because I generally do not like too much basil. Also, I pine nuts are expensive, so I was not sure how substituting walnuts would turn out. My fears were put at bay the moment this delicious pesto hummus reached my lips. Amazing!

pesto hummus (3)
 
Pesto Hummus
makes about 1 ½ - 2 cups
½ cup dry chickpeas
1 large clove of garlic
¼ cup toasted walnuts or pine nuts
1 cup fresh basil
4-6 tbsp olive oil or water, as needed
salt and pepper, to taste
handful of parmesan cheese, optional
 
Put the chickpeas in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil for two minutes, cover, and remove from the heat. Allow the chickpeas to soak in the hot water for 1 hour. Drain and rinse the soaked chickpeas. Combine them with 1 ½ cups water. Simmer over medium low heat with the lid tilted to let some steam escape until all the water has been absorbed, about 1 ½ to 2 hours. Put the garlic on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 30 seconds. Combine all the ingredients into a food processor. Process until creamy, adding oil as needed until you reach a smooth consistency. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment