Sunday, March 16, 2014

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

I know that tomorrow is really Saint Patrick's Day, but I won't have time to post anything until late at night. I figured it would be better to share my Saint Patrick's Day card today so that you can actually see it on Saint Patrick's Day.

DSC_0157[1]

Since I don't drink beer or eat potatoes, I am just out of the loop when it comes to Irish food. I already exhausted my list of green themed foods last year. It's my parent's anniversary, anyway, so I wanted to share a recipe that they both love. My mom and dad both raved about this cookie's 'n cream ice cream that I made over Christmas break. I guess having me was one thing they did right in their marriage. :) Just to think, if they had not gotten married 23 years ago today, neither of them would have ever experienced this awesome ice cream.


cookies and cream ice cream (4)

Cookies ‘n Cream Ice Cream
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
24 Oreos

Place the sugar, salt, milk, and cream in a medium pot. Heat to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk the egg yolks together with 1 cup of the milk and cream mixture. Pour this into the pot and stir over medium heat until the custard reaches 170 degrees. Remove from the heat.

Pour the custard through a fine mesh sieve and refrigerate in a sealed container for 5 hours.

Whisk the vanilla extract into the custard. Using an ice cream maker (mine is from Cuisinart), pour the cooled cream and egg mixture into the frozen ice cream maker’s attachment bowl. Let the machine run for 20 minutes. Once the ice cream has all come together, crumble up the chocolate sandwich cookies and sprinkle them in while the machine is running.

Put the ice cream in a sealed container. Freeze for 3 hours before serving. Thaw it a little on the counter before scooping out and serving.
 
cookies and cream ice cream (2)
 
Here's to another 23 years Mom and Dad! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment