Sunday, March 30, 2014

French Onion Soup

Sorry I have not posted in a while. The past few days have been busy with me coming home for spring break and catching up with my family. Here is the recipe for some delicious French onion soup I made for dinner tonight. I'll share more later about how the week goes. I am looking forward to relaxing a bit and spending some quality time with my family.
DSC_0015[1]

 
I have always loved French onion soup. It is probably my favorite soup. (Although, you cannot go wrong with a nice bowl of beef and barley soup.) The cheesy croutons might lend to my preference. I'll just let you see for yourself.

French Onion Soup
3 pounds sweet onions, peeled and sliced thinly
3 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 cup white wine
8 cups beef broth
1/2 cup cooking Sherry
3 tbsp. fresh thyme
1 loaf of French bread, sliced 1" thick
3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese

To make the soup, heat the oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add the onions and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Stir in the brown sugar, reducing the heat to medium. Cook for another 40 minutes until the onions are golden. Add the white wine and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Stir in the beef broth, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Finally, add the sherry and thyme. Simmer for a few minutes over medium heat.

To make the croutons, preheat your broiler to low. Lay the bread out onto a baking sheet. Broil for about 90 seconds, or until lightly toasted. Flip each piece over and top with the cheese. Broil another 90 seconds or so until the cheese melts.

To assemble, pour a good amount of the soup into a bowl. Top with a crouton or two and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment