Saturday, February 22, 2014

My new plate!

The other day my school hosted an event called "Mugs and Kisses". We all got together to paint plates, bowls, and mugs that each coast $3. The proceeds all went to World Vision. It was a really fun and inexpensive way to help a good cause. My friends and I enjoyed spending time together painting gifts for loved ones or ourselves. Mine was kind of like a gift to all of you out there reading my blog. I have been needing a simple plate to take my food pictures on that is not plastic. This ceramic plate fit the bill. After painting it, I just baked it at 350 for 30 minutes, hand washed it, and now it is completely food safe.
DSC_0005[1]
 
I tried to keep it really simple so that the food on the plate was the star instead of the plate itself. I just could not help but add in the polka dots, though.
 
DSC_0002[1]
 
Now to fill the plate up with a delicious meal is another project in itself. I found a recipe on Martha Stewart's website for sesame chicken, and I wanted to try it out. Getting a little creative, I decided to sub the chicken for chickpeas and the rice for cauliflower rice. It was a great call, and I loved every bite of it.
 
DSC_0035[1]
 
 
Sesame Chickpeas over Cauliflower Rice
serves 1
2/3 cup chickpeas, cooked
2 tbsp corn starch
1 egg white
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp soy sauce
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp sliced green onion
1 tsp oil
1/3 large head of cauliflower
 
To make the cauliflower rice, use a hand chopper to finely chop the cauliflower. Microwave on high in a microwave safe bowl with a lid for 2 minutes.
 
To make the sauce, melt the honey for 15 seconds in the microwave. Whisk the honey, sesame seeds, garlic powder, and soy sauce together. Set this aside.
 
To cook the chickpeas, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat with 1 tsp of oil coating the bottom. Whisk together the egg white and cornstarch. Toss the chickpeas in the mixture. Cook the chickpeas in the pan for 5-6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Flip them over halfway through.
 
Add the green onion to the pan with the chickpeas. Next, pour in the sauce, stirring until it all sticks to the chickpeas.
 
Serve the sesame chickpeas over your cauliflower rice and enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment