Wednesday, February 19, 2014

16 Years Ago Today...

My baby sister Sydney is 16 today! I cannot believe it. This is the first time I have not been with her on her birthday in her entire life. I really miss her, and wish I could have been with her to celebrate this especially momentous birthday.

butter pecan pancakes (10)

I always make Syd breakfast in bed for her birthday, but that was not really an option this year. Here is a recipe for some delicious butter pecan pancakes that I would have made her had I been home.


butter pecan pancakes (3)
Butter Pecan Buttermilk Pancakes
serves 6
¾ cups pecans, chopped
2 ½ tbsp. butter
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
2 egg yolks
¼ cup melted butter
2 cups buttermilk

Melt 2 ½ tablespoons of butter over medium heat in a small pan. Stir in the sugar and add the pecans. Toast until golden and aromatic. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. Stir the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Add in the pecans. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan to medium heat until water “dances” on top of it. Scoop out 3 tablespoons of batter out at a time and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until the top bubbles and looks dry. Flip and cook the other side for a couple of more minutes until golden. Serve with maple syrup.

DSC_0012[1]
Here is the birthday card that I sent my beloved not-so-little sister. Have a great day Sydney!

No comments:

Post a Comment