Thursday, January 2, 2014

Homemade Peanut Butter

As I have professed before, I am an avid peanut butter lover. I could live off of the stuff. Until now I had always bought premade peanut butter. My favorite is Kroger's natural peanut butter, but Smucker's Natural comes close behind. Why had I never tried making my own before is a mystery to me. Yesterday I took the initiative to whip up some fresh peanut butter in my new food processor, and I sure am glad that I did.


DSC_0314[1]

Peanut Butter
makes about 3/4 cup
2 cups dry roasted peanuts
dash of salt (optional)
 
Put the peanuts and salt (if using) in a food processor. Process until creamy, scraping down the sides of the food processor if necessary.

DSC_0315[1]
Harper was my little kitchen helper, and I gave her the honor of licking the spoon.
DSC_0311[1]

My mind has been spinning with new ideas to make with peanut butter. I'm already running low, and need to make some more. We'll see what kind of twists I can make next time. For now, here are two simple recipes to use up your peanut butter.
DSC_0322[1]
PB&J Baked Oatmeal
serves 2
1 cup quick oats
1 ripe banana
¼ cup milk
½ tsp ground cinnamon
dash of salt
¼ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp strawberry jelly
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mash up the banana (microwaving it for 20 seconds helps). Stir the banana, milk, oats, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder together. Swirl in the peanut butter, careful not to over mix. Pour into a small oiled baking dish. Swirl in the jelly on top, and bake for 20 minutes.
DSC_0316[1]
PB& J Pancake Sandwich
2 tbsp. peanut butter
2 tbsp. jelly
 
Allow the pancakes to cool. Toast them until lightly browned, and smear one of them with the jelly. Spread the other with peanut butter and sandwich together.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment