Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy 2014!

Sorry I have gotten behind on blogging this past week. My family took a trip down to Georgia and South Carolina to see some family and friends. I got to spend some great time with my cousin and her family who live in Senegal, some old friends, aunts, cousins, and both sets of my grandparents. It was stressful (basically 6 days of driving with a baby who did not sleep the whole time), but we made it and now are safely back at home. I decided not to take the January term at my school, so I will be spending the next couple of weeks with my family. I felt like Christmas break just was not long enough.

Anyway, enough of all that. It is 2014! Can you believe it? I am starting to feel kind of old. 2013 was a great year. I graduated high school, got to go to Europe with my mom, went on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic, moved to Tennessee and started college, got a new sister, learned how to live on my own, got my first real job, and so much more. I hope that 2014 is just as great. This year I hope to follow God's lead and His will in all things I attempt.

Most bloggers spend this time of year reflecting on their best recipes, crafts, or posts from the past year. I feel like it is a new year, so I should be posting new ideas. What is a better way to bring in the new year than some fun colors, music, and balloons?


colorful quesadilla (2)
 
First off is a quesadilla stuffed full of fun colored vegetables that make it fun and, in my opinion, pretty. This makes it all the more delicious. Who said that you can't play with your food?
 
colorful quesadilla (5)
 
Colorful Quesadillas
makes 4
½ cup frozen corn, thawed
½ cup frozen edamame, thawed
½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup sliced red onion
1 cup shredded queso quesadilla cheese
2 tbsp Greek yogurt
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
dash of cayenne pepper powder
8- 6” corn tortillas
 
Saute the onions in a little oil over medium heat in a small pan. Microwave the beans, edamame, and corn for 90 seconds. Mash the beans, edamame, and corn up with the back of a fork, and stir in the yogurt and seasonings. Mix in the onions last of all. Meanwhile, place two or three tortillas at a time on a large pan over medium heat. Cook the bottoms until lightly browned, and then remove. Place about ¼ cup of filling and ¼ cup cheese on the browned sides of 4 of the tortillas. Top with another tortilla, browned side facing down. Cook each quesadilla on the pan, flipping carefully with a spatula so that the filling does not fall out, until both sides are lightly toasted.
colorful quesadilla (8)
 
Here's what the filling looks after it is mashed up.
027
This is a birthday card that I made for my friend Tori. Confetti, colorful cardstock, and fun paper came together to make the double sided card.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment