Friday, January 10, 2014

Dreaming of Europe...

 When we went to Germany, my mom and I LOVED the spaetzle. We were so happy to eat it again in France, but it just wasn't the same. I tried to make my own spaetzle here. Once again, it was good, but not up to the German standards that I had set up. I finally made a spaetzle that measures up to what we had in Germany. Instead of just leaving the sautéed pasta plain, I added in cheese to make kaesespaetzle. If I ever go back to Germany, I am definitely trying this.
 

 
DSC_0429[1]

Kaesespaetzle
serves 1-2
3 cups cooked spaetzle, cooled
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup shredded cheese (I used a mixture of sharp cheddar, Monterey jack, and Colby jack.)

Heat the oil over medium high heat. Add in the spaetzle and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese. Serve warm.


DSC_0419[1]




 


 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I had a brownie craving the other day. I didn't just want any old brownie. This one had to be jam packed with gooey, chocolaty goodness. This brownie fit the bill with an added bonus of some coconut. Four types of chocolate come into play to create these little squares of cocoa power, making every bite ooze decadence.
 
 

DSC_0424[1]
 
 

 
Super Chocolate Coconut Browniesmakes 12
½ cup shredded coconut
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup flour
1 cup cocoa powder
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
¼ cup melted butter
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp chocolate milk
8 egg whites or 6 eggs
¼ cup chocolate chips
 
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and oil a brownie pan. Combine the oats, coconut, salt, sugar, flour, baking chocolate, and cocoa powder into a food processer. Process until fine. Whisk the eggs, milk, and butter together. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. Divide the batter between the holes in the brownie pan (about 3 tbsp per hole). Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
 

DSC_0431[1]

 



 
Last of all, here is a thank you card I sent to some family friends who recently gave me a graduation gift. It's like the never ending influx of gifts after you graduate. I'm loving it! Plus, it gives me an excuse to make cards. The decals are new stickers I got for Christmas. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment