Sunday, December 8, 2013

Penguins!

My roommate Hannah loves penguins. She is even part of the penguin family in her sorority. For Christmas, I could not think of a better theme for her gift than penguins. I gave her a penguin timer that I found at World Market, penguin socks, and this set of penguins cards (She likes sending cards too.) all wrapped up in a penguin bag with a penguin tag. She loved it almost as much as I loved the gift of patterned scrapbook paper and three tubes of my favorite holiday lotion that she gave me.

DSC_0061[1]
All the penguins have a different fun background and scarf made out of ribbon.

DSC_0060[1]
This one was Hannah's favorite. She loved the snowflake scarf.
 
DSC_0062[1]
I made her five total. Mostly because they were so fun to make!
 
This one is my favorite. The colors are so fun, and it could be used for any time of year, not just Christmas.
DSC_0063[1]
 
I don't think penguins eat a lot of veggie burgers, but I don't have any fish recipes to share. Most of my craft and recipe posts don't coordinate, so why start now? (I don't like fish anyway.)
 
 
black bean and quinoa burgers (3)
These meatless burgers are filled with black beans and quinoa for a delicious combination. I sandwiched mine between a freshly baked Greek yogurt hamburger bun, finished it off with some lettuce, and chowed down. Hannah said that they smelled gross, but our friend Tori who came over to ride to church with us thought they smelled delicious. I agreed.
 
black bean and quinoa burgers (2)
Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers
makes 5
¾ cup cooked quinoa
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp bread crumbs
2 tbsp red onion, diced
2 tbsp diced green bell pepper
¼ cup frozen corn, thawed
¼ cup shredded carrot
½ cup cooked black beans
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
dash of cayenne pepper powder
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Sauté the onion and pepper in a little oil until lightly browned. Mash up the beans and then squish all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Form the mixture into 5 balls, and then press them flat onto an oiled baking pan to form patties. Bake for 25 minutes.
 


 
greek yogurt hamburger bun
Greek Yogurt Hamburger Buns
makes 5
1 ¼ cup flour
1 cup Greek yogurt
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients together. Add in the yogurt until everything is well combined. Divide the dough into five even balls and press them flat into the shape of a burger. Bake for 12 minutes on an oiled baking pan.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment