Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Cinnamon Rolls

I have been making all sorts of cinnamon rolls lately. Harper said she wanted some little play cinnamon rolls for her American Girl Doll, so I made a set for her out of polymer clay. I was in the mood for cinnamon rolls today, so I made some extra special ones for the season. I hope you enjoy the recipe and ideas!
DSC_0087[1]
 
Making doll cinnamon rolls is a lot similar to making real ones. I made a bread color ball of polymer clay and a cinnamon colored one. I rolled them both out into rectangles, placed the cinnamon over the dough, and rolled it all up. Then I cut the roll up into doll sized pieces. These took 15 minutes to bake a 275.

DSC_0084[1]
Once cooled, the rolls were ready to be frosted with some white paint. They look good enough to eat.

DSC_0086[1]
After being tempted with the clay cinnamon rolls, I knew I had to make some for myself. Keeping the Christmas mood from yesterday, I made a tree of delicious apple pecan cinnamon rolls.
 
DSC_0107[1]
Apple Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
makes 12
Dough:
2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 egg
2 tsp dry yeast
2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. hot water
Filling:
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 apple, chopped
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
2 tsp cinnamon
 
Heat the yogurt until it is 110 degrees. Mix in the yeast and honey. Set aside. Use an electric mixer to mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add in the water, yeast and yogurt mixture, and the egg. Stir until everything is well mixed and a soft dough has formed. Knead for 5 minutes. Cover and allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
 
Meanwhile, mix the chopped apple, pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Roll out the dough into a 12" by 8" rectangle. Brush with butter, and spread the filling evenly out over it. Roll up the stuffed dough lengthwise like a jelly roll. Seal the seam and cut it into 12- 1" pieces. Place the rolls on a nonstick baking pan in whatever shape you want. Cover and let the rolls rise for 40 minutes.
 
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Brush the tops of the cinnamon rolls with the remaining butter. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
DSC_0108[1]
 
 
Can I just say delish? I loved them!
 
DSC_0112[1]
I was too lazy to make frosting, so I settled on spreading some Greek yogurt over top. The creaminess complemented the nutty rolls perfectly, especially after they had cooled.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment