Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Christmas Turkey

A couple of weeks ago I posted my Thanksgiving turkey recipe. Well, it's Christmas time already, so that means another turkey recipe is needed. I am sharing this one before Christmas so you can have a little time to prep for the big day. Unlike my Thanksgiving turkey, this one was made without a Reynold's bag. I found out that the turkey browned up a lot nicer, and that it did not dry up one bit. Delish!
DSC_0078[1]
 
 
I actually was given this turkey by my employers and could not very well bring a huge frozen turkey with me on an airplane, so I had to cook it up and eat it myself before coming home. I had turkey leftovers for days, and there is still some left in my freezer. Look forward for some leftover turkey recipes after Christmas.

DSC_0081[1]

Lemon Herb Roasted Turkey
1- 10 to 15 pound turkey, thawed
½ red onion, sliced
1 stalk of celery, cut into 2” long pieces
1 carrot, peeled and sliced into sticks
juice of one lemon
1 tsp herbs de Provence

Remove the turkey from the fridge and let it sit out at room temperature for one hour. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Remove the neck and bag of innards from your turkey, and stuff the carrots, celery, and onions into the cavity. Rub the breasts with lemon juice, and pour the rest of the juice into the cavity. Sprinkle the herbs over the breasts. Bake on the bottom rack of your oven in a roasting pan for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees, and cook an additional 2 to 3 hours, or until a thermometer stuck into the turkey registers 160 degrees. Allow the turkey to sit for 10 minutes before carving.

DSC_0103[1]
Kringle had the great idea to make some s'mores over a candle. He got into the mini marshmallows, and used a toothpick to roast it over a Christmas candle. Ingenious!

No comments:

Post a Comment