Monday, November 4, 2013

What to do with an extra hour...

Yesterday we fell back an hour for daylight savings times. I know that most people utilize their extra hour to sleep, but I wanted to spend mine meaningfully. I settled on doing two of my favorite things: baking muffins and making cards. They may not be the most meaningful activities, but they were plenty satisfying to me. The muffins were made possible by my roommate who had a bunch of strawberries that she was going to throw away because they were a little squishy. (I would have still given them a few days, but she is very weird about the texture of her food.) I also wanted to experiment with baking using the Bob's Red Mill hot cereals my mom gave me. And thus, these delicious muffins were born.

DSC_0121[1]
9 Grain Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
makes 12 muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill 8 grain hot cereal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1cup sugar
¾ cup buttermilk
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 ½ cups sliced strawberries
 
Mix together the milk, applesauce, and 8 grain hot cereal. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and oil a 12 hole muffin pan. Cream the sugar, butter, and cream cheese. Add this mixture along with the eggs into a big bowl. Add the hot cereal, applesauce, and milk mixture. In a separate bowl, stir together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour. Whisk the wet and dry ingredients together, finally stirring in the strawberries. Divide the batter between the greased muffin holes. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the muffins to sit in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack or your mouth.
 
DSC_0118[1]
 
This card was a lot of fun to make. (Just like the real thing.) I made the teeth marks with a scallop punch, and the rest is pretty self explanatory. The other day some friends and I got together to make s'mores in the commons area where we have an indoor fireplace. They all burnt every s'more that they made, so I was the designated s'more roaster. I suppose I have mastered the art of s'moring. (If that is even such a thing. :) )
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment