Saturday, November 9, 2013

Oh, the Irony

My dad hates cheese. He can't even stand the smell of it. It is so bad that he goes as far as to tell people he is allergic. He has had to leave restaurants because the cheesy smell is too strong. We can only make cheesy dishes when he is out of town. He refuses to even touch cheese. You get the picture.

The ironic thing is that the two things that I focused on tonight were making my dad a birthday card and cooking this.

DSC_0143[1]
 
Yeah, my dad would die before taking a bite out of this. One of the only vegetables I have ever known him to refuse to eat are mushrooms. He does not hate them quite as much as cheese, but it's pretty close. I, on the other hand, love mushrooms and cheese. Spaghetti Squash with a Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Greek Yogurt Cheese Biscuits are right up my alley. Tonight I feasted like a king. I wonder if my dad could smell the cheese all the way from China.
 

Greek Yogurt Cheese Biscuits (3)
 
 Greek Yogurt Cheese Biscuits
makes 10 biscuits
¾ cup mozzarella cheese
½ cup parmesan cheese
¾ tbsp. baking powder
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
oil or melted butter for brushing
 
Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and garlic powder together. Stir in ½ cup mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Once all the dry ingredients are combined, add in the yogurt, stirring until everything just comes together. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out about 1” thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut the dough into 10 large rounds. Brush each of them with oil or melted butter, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
 

 
DSC_0139[1]
 

 

I was a little nervous about making the spaghetti squash because I had never worked with one before. To my surprise, it was incredibly easy to cook and use. Spaghetti squash takes on the texture and form of angel hair pasta noodles once cooked, so it is a great substitute in any pasta dish.
 

DSC_0140[1]
 

How to Cook a Spaghetti Squash
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. (Don't throw them away. You can roast them. The recipe follows.) Place them face down in a baking dish. Cooke for 40 minutes. Allow the squash to cool a bit before removing the insides with a fork. It should come out in strings like spaghetti.
 
DSC_0142[1]
 

 
Spaghetti Squash with a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
makes 2 large or 4 small servings
1 spaghetti squash, cooked and prepared
1- 10.75 ounce can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp garlic powder
 
Bring the milk and soup to a low boil oven medium heat in a large sauce pan, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low, adding in the cheese and garlic powder. Stir until the sauce has thickened (about 8 minutes). Add the spaghetti squash into the pan and heat thoroughly. Scoop out and serve.

DSC_0147[1]

I wanted to see if I could roast the leftover seeds like pumpkin seeds. It turns out that you can, and they are quite tasty. My roasted pumpkin seed post is the most popular one on my blog. I wonder if all the pumpkin seed fans out there will convert to spaghetti squash.
 
DSC_0150[1]
 
Roasted Spaghetti Squash Seeds
spaghetti squash seeds
olive oil
salt
 
Preheat your oven to 375. Toss the seeds with the oil and salt to coat. Roast for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow them to cool before storing in a sealed container.


DSC_0151[1]

 

Last but not least, I have not forgotten the birthday card that I mentioned at the beginning of this post. I cannot wait to give this card to my dad on his birthday. It is November 22. I am going home for Thanksgiving break that day. My dad will get to have all his daughters together for the first time. He probably will be too tired to appreciate it, though, since they are getting back from China the day before. I wonder if he will even be able to wake up for his birthday. That jet lag really messes with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment