Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Questionable Veggie

Mushrooms have always confused me a bit. I want them to be vegetables, but they are actually a type of fungus. More specifically, they are the fleshy, spore bearing fruiting body of a fungus. That description just freaks me out, so I'm going to continue to classify mushrooms as vegetables in my mind and leave the fungi to peoples' feet.

Why am I rambling on about mushrooms? It's National Mushroom Day, of course! So grab your favorite fungus vegetable and enjoy a nice meal of scrambled eggs, mushrooms, and humus.
hummus and mushroom scramble (2)
Hummus and Mushroom Scramble
3 eggs
¼ cup roasted red pepper hummus
1 tbsp water
½ cup sliced mushrooms
¼ cup mozzarella cheese
1 tsp oil
 
Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, and sauté until golden brown. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, water, and hummus together. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Once the eggs have started to set, scramble them up with a spatula. When the eggs are done, stir in the cheese and serve.
 
DSC_0134[1]
I made this card for my roommate's parents who so kindly allowed me to stay over during fall break. Along with being super hospitable and friendly, they are also fellow mushroom lovers. (As it is National Mushroom Day, I had to incorporate that somehow.) To make this card, cut out three solid cardstock circles and three circles from patterned paper. Punch a heart out of the cardstock circles, and layer the patterned paper beneath them. Stick them on your card with a sentiment, and you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment