Monday, October 28, 2013

Happy National Chocolate Day!

Now this is one day that should be celebrated every day. I thank the people living in Mesoamerica in 1100 BC for first discovering how wonderful chocolate really is. Can you imagine life without chocolate? I certainly cannot, and I would never want to. Here are a few randomly thrown together recipes that involve chocolate in some way or another.

Have you ever looked into the pantry to discover that you are out of chocolate? Well, fear no more. As long as you have cocoa powder and coconut oil (sugar too if you're not a 100% dark kind of person), you can whip up your own chocolate bar whenever you want.

chocolate
Chocolate Bar
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp sugar

Microwave coconut and sugar for 20 seconds. Stir in cocoa powder and freeze until hardened. (This takes about 15 minutes.)
 
I want to apologize now for the poor picture qualities. When making something chocolate, I always just get a bit carried away and want to dive in without all the camera fuss. This next recipe is for a raw yogurt truffle. Harper saw me eating one, demanded a bite, and then made me make her some too. I do not know why I was surprised. Harper likes chocolate even more than I do. (My mom was not too pleased since the recipe involves a raw egg. The risks we take for our chocolate...)
 
yogurt truffle
Chocolate Yogurt Truffle
makes one large truffle
1 egg yolk
½ ounce Greek yogurt
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp honey
 
Combine the yogurt, egg yolk, honey, and 2.5 tbsp cocoa powder. Form into a ball and roll in the remaining cocoa powder. Freeze for 15 minutes.
 
Finally, here is a healthy chocolate cookie recipe to keep you on track while still allowing you to have some of that wonderful chocolate flavor. There is peanut butter mixed into the batter too, making it even better. I am so glad chocolate is god for you. :)

chocolate pb cookie balls
 
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Balls
makes 20
¼ cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
2 egg yolks
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
½ cup milk
½ cup sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
 
Blend the oatmeal into a flour. Mix the dry ingredients together. Melt the peanut butter a little bit, stir it in with the milk, and add this to the dry ingredients. Finally, stir in the egg. Roll into balls and bale at 350 for 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment