Friday, September 6, 2013

Poor Kid's Tacos

As a poor college student, I cannot afford beef. Especially not the good ground beef I like which is really ground sirloin. The other night I had a desire for some tacos. Tacos require beef. I was devastated.

Then I met lentil tacos.

lentil tacos (6)
They don't taste exactly like beef tacos, but that was okay with me. They are still delicious. When served tucked into a flour tortilla with cheese and lettuce, these lentils really show their stuff. Doesn't it look like taco meat?
lentil tacos (3)
So whether your a poor college kid like me, a vegetarian, or just bored of your normal run-of-the-mill taco, you should give lentil tacos a try.
 
lentil tacos (4)\
Lentil Tacos
makes 4 tortillas
¼ cup dry lentils
¾ cup hot water
½ a small onion, chopped
1 tsp oil
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
dash of cayenne pepper powder
4 tortillas
1 cup shredded lettuce
½ cup Monterey Jack cheese

Bring the hot water and lentils to a simmer, and cover with the lid slightly cracked to let out moisture. Once the water is absorbed, about 35 minutes, remove the lentils from the heat. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until golden. Stir in the lentils, cooking the lentils and onions for 3 more minutes. Mix in the seasonings. Scoop the lentils onto tortillas along with the cheese and lettuce to serve.
lentil tacos (2)
And if you happen to have any leftovers, they go great in a taco salad.


I just could not get enough of this turtle pattern! I used it this time in a pocket card. When the card is closed, you just see the turtles eyes poking out of the top. Open it up to reveal the cute little cutout.
DSC_1074
 

No comments:

Post a Comment