Saturday, September 7, 2013

Conquering My Fear of the Lemon

The thought of a lemon flavored baked good still sends shivers down my back. The combination of bread and the lemon flavor just don't seem to work in my head. That's why I was so shocked that I liked my lemon poppy seed pancakes. After loving them so much, I was brave enough to try one of the most daunting muffin recipes to date (at least in my opinion): lemon poppy seed muffins. Luckily, they were a success, and I kick myself for never having tried a lemon poppy seed muffin before. In the future, I will definitely consider making them on one of my many muffin baking days.
ww lemon poppyseed muffins (4)
 
Whole Grain Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
makes 12 medium sized muffins
1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oatflour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp lemon zest
½ cup applesauce
2 tbsp oil
¾ scant cup Greek yogurt
juice of one lemon (about 2 ounces)
1 egg

Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Add in the poppyseeds and lemon zest. Mix in all the wet ingredients, reserving the lemon juice for last. Once everything is well mixed, divide the batter between twelve oiled muffin holes. Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for15 minutes. Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

And just like about pretty much everything else n this blog, I had to try out the flavor as a baked oatmeal. I actually liked this better than the muffins and the pancakes (which is saying a lot). You just can't go wrong with oatmeal...


Lemon Poppy Seed Baked Oatmeal
3 tbsp lemon juice (about ½ a lemon’s worth of juice)
1 tsp lemon zest
¼ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
½ cup oatmeal
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 banana

Mix together all the dry ingredients. Blend the banana, milk, and lemon juice together. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Pour it into an oiled ramekin. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes.


058
 
 
This little card was made for Miss Harper who had sent me a beautiful letter with a picture of a rainbow on it. I thought she would have fun opening it up to see the two hearts and letter inside.
059
I think she just got it in the mail today, so I will have to ask her what she thought of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment