Friday, August 30, 2013

The Exploding Box

I made Sydney a box as a going away card.
DSC_1099
It was not just any card, though.

DSC_1098
Nor was it just any box.

DSC_1100
 
It was a box that exploded! When you open up exploding boxes, 12 pages fold out to reveal a card/ scrapbook that can hold anything your mind imagines. I made mine a memory album of the years that Sydney and I have spent together.
DSC_1102
 
In the center of the box/ card I put my graduation picture. I did not see her open it in person (I put it on her bed before we drove down to TN.), but I can only imagine the surprised look on her face when she opened up the box to reveal all those memories.
DSC_1101
Before I left, I also made Sydney (and the rest of my family) some Nutella rolls. They are like cinnamon rolls, but are stuffed full of Nutella instead. Sydney and my mom are Nutella fanatics, so you can guess how long these lasted at my house.

nutella rolls (2)
 
 
Nutella Rolls
serves 8

Dough:
1 tbsp dry yeast
4 cups flour
½ cup warm water (110 degrees)
½ cup warm milk
1 tsp salt
½ cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup butter, softened

Filling:
1 cup Nutella

Cream Cheese Icing:
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
½ cup cream cheese, softened
6 tbsp melted butter

 
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water for five minutes. Combine the milk, butter, egg yolks, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to stir the ingredients together. Pour in the water and yeast, salt, and flour. Mix until everything is well incorporated. Cover and allow the dough to rise for an hour in a warm place. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to make a 12” by 16” rectangle. Spread the Nutella over the top and roll it up so that it is still 16” long. Cut the roll into 8 two inch thick rolls. Cover and let them rest for another 30 minutes. Place the rolls in a nonstick baking stone. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Meanwhile, beat together the cream cheese icing ingredients. Once the rolls are done baking, top with the icing ingredients. Serve warm.

 
nutella rolls (1)
 
And the cream cheese icing just made them that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment