Friday, July 12, 2013

Pannekoek

Pannekoeken are large, flat Dutch pancakes. There are dozens of pancake restaurants in Amsterdam that serve pannekoeken with a variety of toppings. My mom and I chose one called Sara's Pancake House. It was definitely not our favorite restaurant of the trip, and my chicken and onion pannekoek left me wanting to see if I could recreate it to be more flavorsome and less cheap and greasy tasting. I tried it out for myself, and was pleased with the results. Now if only I could recreate that Indonesian rice table... I am dreaming of gado-gado.
 
DSC_0678
 
Here is the pannekoek from Sara's Pancake House. It was one of many flavors that you could choose from. Some of them were as simple as butter and powdered sugar while others were exotic like Greek flavored with tzatziki and gyro meat.
Here is my recreation of the dish. I use a little bitty biscuit cutter to make the chicken into circles, and my mom's vegetable slicer to cut the onions ultra thin. The results were amazing.
 
DSC_0760[1]
Chicken and Onion Pannekoeken
serves 3-4
1 cup milk
½ cup flour
1 egg
dash of salt
4 slices deli meat chicken, cut into smaller pieces
½ an onion, sliced thinly
dried oregano
 
Blend the milk, flour, egg, and salt together. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes. Preheat a large pan to medium high heat. Coat the bottom with a little oil and pour enough batter into it so that it covers the bottom evenly, but is not too thick. Place the onions and chicken on top of the uncooked pancake side. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the bottom is lightly browned. Flip it over carefully and cook the other side for a little less than a minute. Carefully slide it onto a plate and top with oregano. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
 
This is another cascade card because they are just too much fun to make. (Plus, I had the red card made from when I did the tutorial.) Normally I like to alternate between two types of patterned paper for the background, but this time I put a different kind on each layer. The cute elf stickers finished it off and made it North Pole worthy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment