Wednesday, July 24, 2013

National Threading the Needle Day

Tomorrow is National Threading the Needle Day. As all sewers know, threading the needle can be the easiest or most annoying part of the entire project. It is also the most important. I think it is funny that there is an entire day named for trying to get that thread through the tiny needle head.

DSC_0056

I sewed this dress for my little neighbor's seventh birthday. It is made out of a bandana with ribbon for the sleeves.
DSC_0052
I made this on the sewing machine, so I did not need to rethread the needle every time I started sewing, but when I did have to rethread it, it was that much more annoying.

Today's pancakes are blueberry lemon cornmeal made with buttermilk to give them a thick, fluffy texture. I loved mixing in the lemon juice and watching the batter fizz up as the chemicals reacted. I learned more right there than I did the entire year when I took chemistry as a sophomore.

DSC_0873[1]
 
Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Pancakes
serves 3-4
½ cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
6 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp salt
¼ cup fresh blueberries

Whisk together the cornmeal and buttermilk. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Whisk in the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, oil, and lemon juice. (Be careful when you add the lemon juice. The mixture tends to froth up.) Stir in the blueberries. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan to medium heat. Scoop out 3 tablespoons of batter at a time onto the pan. Cook until the top bubbles and dries. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.

 These pancakes would go great with some blueberry sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment