Wednesday, July 17, 2013

National Peach Ice Cream Day, Galettes, and Mini Juice Boxes

These last few days have been in the 90s up here in Ohio. The fact that we do not have a properly working AC unit only bothers us on days like these. I whipped up this first recipe today to combat the heat. Today is National Peach Ice Cream Day. The cute ice cream bowl was given to me for my birthday by Harp. I thought it was cute (and ironic) to put my bananacream in it.
DSC_0837[1]
 
Peach Bananacream
1 frozen banana
1 peach
 
Break the banana up into three pieces and cut the peach into fourths. Blend them together until creamy. Pour the bananacream into a bowl and place in the freezer for about ten minutes. Enjoy!
DSC_0831[1]
Beside working on my extensive scrapbook, I have been making American Girl Doll stuff for the two girls I babysit for that had birthdays today and yesterday. These OJ containers are made of raisin boxes covered in construction paper with a straw fragment hot glued on top. The kids loved them.
 
Lastly, I recreated another of my European meals. This one came from La Crepe Gourmande in Strasbourg, France. Like the pannekoek place in Amsterdam, they had many variations of your basic crepe to choose from. (They were a lot less greasy and a lot better tasting, though. Cheaper too.) I chose a savory crepe (aka galette) with Roquefort cheese and spinach.
 
 
DSC_0499
 
The one above came from the restaurant, and the one below was my recreation. Do they look similar? I tried my best to imitate it, but the taste was not exact since I subbed Laughing Cow cheese for the Roquefort. We did not have any of the strong blue cheese on hand, and I am not a big fan of eating moldy looking food.
 
DSC_0791[1]
 
Spinach and Cheese Breton Galettes
serves 6-8
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup milk
1 tbsp oil
¼ cup flour
½ cup buckwheat flour
6 cups frozen chopped spinach
6 triangles of Laughing Cow Swiss cheese
1/4 tsp salt

Blend together the salt, flours, milk, oil, and eggs. Store it in the refrigerator overnight and then allow it to come to room temperature for 30 minutes, or let it sit out for an hour. To make the filling, microwave the spinach for 1-2 minutes, or until it is completely thawed. Drain off the excess water and stir in the cheese. Preheat a large pan to medium high heat. Lightly oil the bottom of the pan and then pour in enough batter to cover the bottom in a thin layer. Cook for a couple of minutes until the bottom is lightly browned and comes up easily. Very carefully flip it over and cook the other side for about a minute. Remove the galette from the pan, stuff with about 6 tbsp of the filling, and fold up the sides. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment