Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Let the Scrapbooking Begin!

I was so excited this morning when the mail arrived. Even more excited than usual.

Why?

Because my Snapfish pictures arrived. All 400 something of them from my trip to Europe. I am already a few pages in to the massive scrapbook  I will make to record every little thing my mom and I did during our awesome vacation.
DSC_0821[1]


 
Anyway, I cannot focus all my time on my scrapbook like I would like to. There are just so many things I have to get done before I go away. The least of these is to make cards for everyone I will be leaving behind. This includes the amazing kids I babysit for. The little girl next door is two, and she adores the big bad wolf. Every time I go over there she asks if I have the book to read. (For some reason they do not own it.) I made her this card with a surprise inside. I can't wait to see her open it. :)
DSC_0816[1]
 
The straw and stick houses are actually made from straw and sticks. Harper was very curious as to why I was bringing dirty outside stuff inside and gluing it on my card. Then she saw the finished product and laughed.

DSC_0818[1]

 
Have you ever had a chocolate dipped... pear? Me neither, but they sure do sound good. Until they replace the caramel apples at the fair with chocolate pears, I will have to go without. Don't worry, though, these pancake and oatmeal recipes will soothe your cravings.

DSC_0810[1]


Chocolate Pear Pancakes
makes 7-8 4” pancakes
1/3 cup pear puree
½ cup flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 egg
½ cup milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp oil
3 tbsp sugar
dash of salt
1 pear, peeled and sliced

Mix the dry ingredients together. Whisk in the oil, vanilla, vinegar, milk, pear puree, and egg. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan to medium heat. Scoop a few tablespoons of batter onto the pan and press pear slices into the uncooked side. Flip the pancakes once the tops look dry and bubbly. Cook the bottoms until lightly browned. Top your pancakes with chocolate sauce and more pears, or just enjoy them plain.
 
DSC_0812[1]
If you are impatient like me and want to get straight to eating your deliciously decadent pancakes right off the pan, you can skip the extra chocolate sauce and pear slices. Trust me, it is still amazing.
Chocolate Pear Oatmeal
serves 2
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
3 tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup milk
1 cup water
1 pear
2 tbsp chocolate chips
½ tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Blend the water, milk, and half of the pear together. Pour the liquid into a pot and bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low. Stir in the oatmeal, salt and cocoa powder. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring every so often. Once the oatmeal is at your desired consistency, remove it from the heat. Stir in the vanilla and chocolate chips. Cube the remaining half of the pear, and stir this into the oatmeal last.

No comments:

Post a Comment