Sunday, July 14, 2013

Cheese Blintzes and Candy Cards

I have talked about the amazing kids I babysit before. There are four families that I work for on a regular basis, and quite a few other ones that I see every so often. I am going to miss them so much when I go away to college. They are mad at me for choosing to go away for school. Anyway, when I make them cards for holidays or birthdays, I like to include a piece of candy in the card. Who doesn't enjoy finding a mint on Rudolph's nose, or candy canes on a Valentine heart? Here are some ideas for Christmas themed candy cards. (Don't worry. I made them right before Christmas last year. I am not trying to poison them with expired candy.)
 I used a large oval cutter to make both the heads of Santa and the reindeer. The reindeers' ears are small ovals cut in half. I free handed the rest.  The best way to connect the candy is glue dots. Hot glue will sometimes melt the wrappers, and any other kind of glue is not strong enough or will ruin the card when you pull the candy off.

004 (3)
The present is just a rectangle with an obviously free handed bow.
 
007 (4)
 
Now it is time for my yummy pancake recipe of the day. These are not your regular pancakes. They are cheese blintzes.
cheese bintzees (2)
Doesn't that just look delicious? Trust me, it is.
 
Blintzes are thin Russian pancakes, very similar to crepes. They are often stuffed with cheese and then fried. (Cheese+ Frying= YUM!) I topped mine with pureed banana and strawberries. Sour cream and other fruits are other common toppings.
 
cheese bintzees
 
Cheese Blintzes
makes 12
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
1 egg yolk
vegetable oil

Whisk together the milk, flour, and eggs until there are no more lumps. Stir together the egg yolk and cottage cheese in a separate container. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan sprayed with oil to medium heat. Scoop out a few tablespoons of batter onto the pan and swirl it around to make a thin crepe. Flip once the bottom is browned and cook the other side until golden. Remove the pancake from the pan and scoop 1-2 tablespoons of the cottage cheese mixture onto it. Wrap it up like a burrito, folding the bottom up, sides in, and finally the top down. Repeat this process until you have 12 blintzes. Pour oil into a pan so that it completely covers the bottom. Preheat it to medium heat and place the blintzes folded side down into it, cooking a few at a time. Cook both sides until golden brown, reducing the heat if needed. Serve topped with fruit or cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment