Sunday, July 21, 2013

All Things Banana

I know I talk about bananas a lot on here already and it's not National Banana Day or anything,
but I though I would take some time today to honor the long, yellow fruit. (That and I had a bunch of rotten bananas in my fridge I needed to use up.) Today everything has a banana theme, so enjoy. And if you hat bananas like my sisters do (and I did until a few years ago), just skip today's post entirely and come back tomorrow. Or learn to be a lover of bananas instead of a hater. I am a banana convert, and I have faith that you can be too.


I was reading an international cookbook called Passport on a Plate, and I saw a recipe for African groundnut stew. It looked a little interesting really weird, and I just knew I had to try it. I did some more research on different groundnut stew recipes, and found that they often incorporate chicken and various spices which the book left out. I decided to try my hand of making a rendition to the original recipe. Then came the time when I was actually going to cook and eat it. I'm just going to be completely honest- I almost chickened out. There were a few reasons including that I do not like sweet potatoes. Most importantly, bananas and chicken is just weird. Bananas and onions is even weirder. I did not even want to think about bananas and cayenne pepper. Thankfully I did not give up on the recipe. I tried it out, putting my own flare to it, and was very pleased with the results. I am glad that I did not leave the bananas out like I was originally going to. The sweetness from the bananas, the spiciness from the cayenne pepper, and the creaminess from the peanut butter all played together to create a wonderful dish.
DSC_0858[1]















Chicken and Groundnut Stew
serves 2
1 7 ounce chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 an onion, diced
4 ounces chicken broth
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 banana, thinly slices
1/4 tsp ground cumin
dash of cayenne pepper powder
1 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 tsp oil
salt and pepper, to taste
3 tbsp peanut halves

Pour the oil in a 9 inch nonstick pan. Saute the onions for 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir in the chicken and sweet potato. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken registers at 165 degrees, stirring every once in a while. Blend together the chicken broth, cumin, cayenne pepper, and peanut butter. Stir this and the banana into the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for six more minutes until the mixture is thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and top with the peanut halves and cilantro. Serve over long grain rice.

DSC_0856[1]

The idea for this recipe is not original to me either, but I have been seeing it everywhere. I knew I had to try it at some point, especially since I am doing the parade of pancakes. It is a very good Sunday morning pancake recipe when you don't have time to bother measuring out all the flour, baking powder, and milk. All you have to do is pop two ingredients into the blender, pour a little of it out on a pan, and cook until golden brown. Easy as pie. I didn't even need to write this recipe for you.
DSC_0855[1]
 
2 Ingredient Banana Pancakes
2 eggs
1 banana

Blend the eggs and banana together. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan to medium heat. Drop about 1-2 tablespoons of batter onto the pan at a time. (If you make the pancakes any bigger, they get really hard to flip.) Wait a couple of minutes before trying to slide the spatula under the pancake to flip it. If it begins to fall apart, wait a little longer because they are not done. Cook each side until lightly browned and then serve.



Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
serves 2
1 cup oatmeal
1 banana
1 cup strawberries
dash of vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Blend the strawberries and banana together until pureed. Mix all the ingredients together. Preheat the oven to 350 and bake in a small stone for 20-25 minutes.
 
 
banana millet bake


Banana Millet Bake
1 cup water
1 banana
½ cup millet
pinch of salt
 Mash up the banana and combine it together with the millet, water, and salt. Stir well. Let this mixture stand overnight to let the millet soak up the water. This isn’t necessary, but it gives it a creamier texture. Bake at 250 degrees for 2 hours.
banana millet bake (2)

These yellow cookies are amazing. The awesome banana flavor really shines through them, and they are healthy enough for breakfast or snack. It's your serving of fruit for the day in banana form.
banana cookies


Banana Cookies
makes about 2 dozen
1 rotten banana
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups oatmeal
½ cup sugar
pinch of salt
Blend the oats into a flour. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mash the banana and egg together in a separate bowl. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together until there are no lumps. Scoop out onto a baking sheet and press down. Bake for 16 -18 minutes at 350 degrees.
 
 


choc coconut bananacream


 

Chocolate Coconut Bananacream
1 frozen banana
½ cup full fat canned coconut milk
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp sugar (optional)
Cube up the banana and let it thaw for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, stir the coconut milk so that it’s all mixed up. Blend the banana, coconut milk, and cocoa powder together. Taste it to see if it’s sweet enough for you. If it’s not, add the sugar.
 
I hope that these six banana recipes help you to use up all those quickly browning bananas just like they did me. (Because everyone knows it is a criminal offense to waste a banana.)

DSC_0129

Although this card has nothing to do with bananas, I was out of banana themed cards, and thought it would be a shame to post so many recipes without a single craft. Enjoy the flower! (Okay, I know I am corny, but I didn't know what else to say.)

No comments:

Post a Comment