Saturday, June 22, 2013

All in a day's work....

 Today has been a busy day of crafting, cooking, browsing through the parade of homes, and grad party hopping. Today's post is pretty busy too. I have so much I am excited to share that I just cannot wait any longer! If I could have it my way, I'd share a dozen recipes and crafts a day. You should thank me for restraining myself.
 
DSC_0139[1]


This cute little girl is actually a card. It may look just like a random head sitting on my kitchen table, but you can open it up to write your birthday wishes. The crown is a sticker, but everything else was made by using circle cutters and a scallop punch.
 


DSC_0149[1]
You are probably asking yourself (at least you should be asking yourself) what in the world these babies are. Well, I have an answer for you. They are the mother of all things yummy and delicious: German Chocolate Cake Pancakes.


DSC_0152[1]
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 German Chocolate Cake Pancakes
serves 2-3
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk (coconut milk or pecan milk would be good choices)
¼ cup applesauce
2 eggs
½ cup cocoa powder
dash of salt
¼ cup pecans, lightly toasted
3 bananas
¼ cup dried coconut

Blend together the bananas and coconut. In a separate container, whisk together the first ten ingredients. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan to medium low heat. Scoop out a few tbsp of the batter onto the pan and cook until the top starts to bubble and the bottom is dry. Flip and cook the other side until lightly browned. Top each pancake with the banana and coconut mixture and stack them. Add the pecans and extra coconut on top.

DSC_0146[1]
 
 The coconut for the pancakes and the grapefruit below were both bought at the Westside Market yesterday. Today was filled with experimenting with all the many ingredients I found there. The grapefruit was a mere 60 cents, and turned out to be delicious. (I scarfed it down peel and all because I am just weird like that.) Usually I like my grapefruit to be sliced in half and eaten cold, but I had seen somewhere that you can broil them. My results were so delicious that I had to share.


DSC_0155[1]

Broiled Grapefruit
grapefruit
honey

Cut the grapefruit in half and drizzle it with honey. Place each half onto a sheet of tinfoil. Broil on the top rack for 5-6 minutes.

DSC_0168[1]

Finally, here is a gift card idea that I gave my friend as a graduation gift. We always used to play pioneers when we were little, so I decorated a tin pail with fabric, filled it with small stones, and shoved popsicle sticks into it. The giftcards were stuck to the popsicle sticks using a glue dot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment