Friday, June 21, 2013

Sweet Potato Pie

 Today my mom took us to the Westside Market. It is a super big market up in Cleveland. It is a bit of a drive, but is totally worth it. There is a fresh produce area and an inside area with everything from meats to dairy to bakeries to ethnic cuisines. We loaded up on fresh bread, cheese, fruits and veggies, and beef jerky that was featured on food network. Then we all picked somewhere to go for lunch. Harper opted for a pretzel pizza, Syd chose a gyro from a stand that was also on TV, and mom, Syd's friend, and I had crepes. Dessert was homemade cupcakes and frappes.
photo.JPG










Here is me outside the crepe place. I think it was a good choice, especially since I am doing the whole Parade of Pancake thing here on the blog. I chose a buckwheat crepe with goat cheese and strawberries. (The goat cheese came from a neighboring dairy stand.) It was my first buckwheat crepe, and I loved it.

I was so inspired that I bought some buckwheat to make my own. Let's see how that works out. The man who made them was a super pro. He poured the batter on a large pan thing, spread it with something that looks like a croquet mallet, sprinkled on the ingredients, and folded it over expertly. It was all smooth and perfected. I only wish he hadn't been so stingy with the goat cheese.

photo.JPG










And now on to the actual recipes and crafts. I have a weird confession to make. Do not judge me, but sometimes I eat baby food.

Yeah, yeah. It sounds gross, but you all ate it at some time too. I bought a ton to take with me to the DR for snacks, and had some left over. Since it is already pureed, it is great to stir into pancake batters and baked oatmeal. Here are a couple of recipes using sweet potatoes.

 
DSC_0126[1]

 


Sweet Potato Pie Baked Oatmeal
½ cup oatmeal
¼ cup sweet potato puree
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp milk
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp baking powder
dash of salt
pecans, to garnish
Whisk the sweet potato, syrup, milk, and peanut butter together. Add in the oatmeal, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Pour it into an oiled ramekin. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes and serve topped with pecans.


 
DSC_0128[1]


 These Sweet Potato Pie Pancakes actually rival the buckwheat ones. They are fluffy and delicious. The chopped pecans make a perfect topping, and so would some pure maple syrup. (And not any of that Aunt Jemima conagoo. I mean the real stuff.)

DSC_0111[1]

Sweet Potato Pie Pancakes
1 egg white
½ cup flour
¼ cup pureed sweet potato
2 tsp maple syrup
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder
½ cup milk
dash of salt
chopped pecans, to garnish

Stir together the dry ingredients. Whisk in the wet ingredients until there are no more lumps. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan to medium low heat. Scoop out a few tbsp of the batter onto the pan and cook until the top starts to bubble and the bottom is dry. Flip and cook the other side until lightly browned.

DSC_0107[1]













I always have a knack for ripping up the bottom or knees in my jeans. I am left with a perfectly good pair of pants that I can't wear just because of a stinking hole. My solution to this is to hack off the bottoms, fold the raw edge over, and sew it straight across. You have a whole new pair of pants in minutes. Better yet, they accommodate to the changing seasons. You are only out ten minutes when it is all said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment