Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!

Today is Father's Day, and what better way to honor your dad than by surprising him with breakfast in bed and a nice card?
Hummingbird Pancake Stack (5)
 
You would not want to give your super special dad just any old pancakes, though. If your dad is anywhere near as awesome as mine, he deserves a pancake cake. This stack of delicious pancakes might taste like a hummingbird cake, but it is meant for breakfast. Your dad will love it.
Hummingbird Pancake Stack (2)

Hummingbird Pancake Stack
makes 8 3” pancakes
¼ cup milk
1 egg
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup pineapple puree
½ a banana
1 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp oil
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
chopped pecans, cut up pineapple, plain or vanilla yogurt, and banana slices for topping
 
Whisk the first eleven ingredients together until everything is well incorporated. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan to medium low heat. Scoop out a few tbsp of the batter onto the pan and cook until the top starts to bubble and the bottom is dry. Flip and cook the other side until lightly browned. Spread yogurt onto each pancake, and stack them on top of each other. Top the whole thing with chopped pecans, sliced bananas, and pineapple chunks.

 

Hummingbird Pancake Stack (6)
 
Just look at those delicious layers. Your dad will have to be something special for you to share it with him.

DSC_0053[1]
This is not the card I am giving my dad, but I will probably send it to one of my grandpas. I learned my lesson about giving my dad anything to do with ties. He travels a lot for business, so I used to think that he wore ties to all his meetings. Every year from the time I could thread a needle until I was about 12, I made my dad a tie for Father's Day. Then one year he revealed to me the sad truth that he had not worn a tie since I was a baby. Bummer! Now I struggle to come up with gifts that will show my dad how much I love and appreciate him. I am so blessed to have such a great dad to provide for my family and take care of me. I look up to him as a hard worker and strong follower of Christ. I am so blessed this Father's Day (and every day) to be able to call him my dad.



No comments:

Post a Comment