Friday, June 28, 2013

Happy birthday to me!

Well, it's official. I am 18 years old today, and I leave for Europe in only a few hours. I am so excited! I have been up since 4:30, and just can't wait to go. I won't actually get to Europe until June 29 because of the time change and long flight, but I am still itching to board that plane.
 
DSC_0063[1]

I had never had coffee cake before trying out this recipe, and I was amazed by how delicious it was. (I tend to say this a lot. You probably think my mom never fed me anything when I was little. It was more like I was too picky to try anything.) I did not know how much the dough would rise while baking, so I did it in a smaller dish. It still worked fine, and yielded bigger slices.


DSC_0067[1]
















Cinnamon Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake
serves 4
1 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp oil
1 egg
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp applesauce
¼ cup quick oatmeal
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp sugar

Mix the 2 tsp sugar, cinnamon, and oatmeal. Set this aside. Beat together the egg, applesauce, oil, vanilla, and yogurt. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar in a separate bowl. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Oil a 4X4 baking dish. Pour half of the batter into the dish and top with half of the cinnamon oatmeal mixture. Spread the remaining batter evenly over top, and finally sprinkle on the remaining topping. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
 
 
DSC_0195[1]

  













Here is another cascade card. I just can't get enough of these things. They are too much fun to make. Of course, this one is birthday themed to celebrate the day.



DSC_0189[1]















You cannot honestly tell me that these pancakes are not the coolest thing ever. They are birthday cake flavored! I poured a ton of sprinkles in them to make the batter explode with color. The picture above is of the top and the one below is the bottom of the pancakes. While the pancakes cook, the sprinkles bubble and rise to the top (which is actually the bottom of the pancake). It is so much fun to watch.
DSC_0186[1]
 














Birthday Cake Pancakes for One
serves 1 (about 3 medium pancakes)
2 egg yolks
1 tsp oil
½ tbsp sugar
½ cup flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sprinkles
1/3 cup milk
¼ tsp baking powder
dash of salt

Whisk all the ingredients together. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan to medium heat. Scoop out a few tablespoons of the batter at a time onto the pan. Flip the pancake over when the top starts to bubble and look dried out. Remove the pancakes from the heat once they are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment