Thursday, June 20, 2013

Back to America!

For once I am not going to complain about the weather I have experienced the past week. It has been amazing- not too hot and not too cold. Oh, and to make it even better, I got to spend it with some amazing juniors from my school and the precious children in Village 106.

You are probably wondering what in the world I am talking about. You should stop worrying about the what and ask where in the world I am talking about. (You didn't really think Ohio had a week of good weather, did you?) I have been in the Dominican Republic on a mission trip. Me, another senior, and a bunch of juniors travelled down to teach and help a poor Dominican village. It was quite an experience. Like Peru, these kids really lived in poverty. It was absolute squalor. They still had the most positive attitudes, and just loved all the attention they got from us. We loved spending time with them too.

The trip went well. We did VBS and built a trash burning building to hopefully keep the village cleaner. I also took up the opportunity to taste the delicious Dominican fruit. It was heavenly. I hate papaya here in the states, but I ate plates full of it down there. (So good!) I didn't really get to try any of the food since everything was doused in tomatoes. That's why today's recipe is not Dominican at all. It's actually an American favorite:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pancakes!

It does not need any more explaining than that. Enjoy!


DSC_0137[1]
















Chocolate Chip Cookie Pancakes
½ cup flour
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
½ cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
dash of salt
handful of chocolate chips
Whisk all of the ingredients together except for the chocolate chips. Stir in the chocolate chips after everything is incorporated and there are no mare lumps. Preheat a nonstick pancake pan to medium low heat. Scoop out a few tbsp of the batter onto the pan and cook until the top starts to bubble and the bottom is dry. Flip and cook the other side until lightly browned.
 
DSC_0079[1]

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I guess I must have been missing the US because this card is another American favorite. Who hasn't had a Mickey ice cream at Disney World? (Losers, that's who.) The little nibble out of one ear is about as far as I ever got with them before handing them off to my parents (I'm more of a popcorn kind of girl.), but I still have fond memories of them.
 
All of this being said, we Americans are very lucky and rich people. Going to the DR really made me see how blessed I am. If you want to find out more about the DR and going to preach the gospel there, check out Meeting God in Missions. It is a really great facility with even better Bible studies that is devoted to bringing God's love out to everyone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment