Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What to do with a kale overload.

My dad bought about 6 bunches of kale over spring break. Don't ask me why. We have never had kale at my house, so he did not really know what to do with it. For the past couple of weeks it has sat in the fridge taking up too much space and beginning to go bad. I decided to play around with it. I made a kale smoothie and kale chips (inspired by an article in a Martha Stewart magazine).
 
The kale chips were delicious. Sydney even liked them. They were quick and easy to make. (Two of my favorite words.) I will definitely make them again if my dad goes on another kale buying spree.
 
What did my dad think of the kale chips? He took one tiny bite and spit it out. Apparently kale is too bitter for him. If only he had known that two weeks ago...
 

Kale Chips
1 bunch of kale
olive oil
salt, garlic powder, and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash and dry the kale very well. Make sure there is no water left on it. Spread the kale out on a nonstick pan. Spray it with olive oil and sprinkle on the seasonings. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow it to cool and then enjoy the same day.
 

Almond, Kale, and Oatmeal Smoothie
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 ½ cups almond milk
1/3 cup toasted almonds
½ cup yogurt
2 leaves of kale
1 tbsp honey
½ tsp cinnamon

 Mix 1 cup almond milk and the oatmeal together. Microwave for 2 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Pour onto a plate and freeze until cool. Combine all the ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy. Enjoy.

 

 
These cute Mickey and Minnie ornaments are made out of polymer clay. I connected the ears and bow to the head with wire before baking the clay. This helped to keep the pieces together and make the ornaments sturdier overall. Other than that, making them is pretty self explanatory if you have any experience with polymer clay. I just thought it was a cute idea. (Another one of my favorite words on this blog.)
 
Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment