Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dr. Seuss Approved

I think every one's favorite author as a child is Dr. Seuss. If it's not, you have at least heard of him before. I grew up reading the Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, and  There's a Wocket in My Pocket. One of my favorite Christmas movies is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. (The cartoon version, of course. The live action one is just creepy.) Later on I was surprised to find that Dr. Seuss also drew political cartoons. Throughout high school history, I found his political cartoons to be my favorite. Now I enjoy to read Harper his books, and recently she has been reading some of them to me. My mom even gave her one for her birthday. (The Sleep Book, I think.)His zany stories with crazy creatures and funny drawings have become classics. Look at how many of his stories are now movies, and you will see just how much he is a part of our culture.

Oh the Places You'll Go was the last book Dr. Seuss published before his death. It is all about taking a chance at something new with a 98 3/4% success rate guaranteed. I find it incredibly appropriate for this new and exciting time in me and my friends' lives. Here is a picture frame that I made to give one of my friends for graduation.

Pinned Image
I could have posted recipes for the fun food crafts my mom did in Harper's class for Dr. Seuss' birthday, but I do not feel like I have a right to steal her ideas. Plus, I can't get to those pictures because Flickr deleted them. Anyway, here is a less creative, but equally delicious recipe for corn muffins. (The southern sugar free version, of course. Only yankees put sugar in their cornbread.)


Pinned Image


Buttermilk Cornmeal Muffins
1 cup cornmeal
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
1 ½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
3 egg yolks

Whisk together all the ingredients, being careful not to over mix or leave any lumps. Oil a large muffin pan. Fill each hole about ¾ to way full, dividing the batter evenly between the four holes. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment