Thursday, March 28, 2013

Poptarts!!

I got to spend today with one of my friends from school, Braxton. I haven't seen her since before miniterm, so I wanted to bring her a surprise. Since she likes poptarts, I decided to make some homemade ones for her. They aren't too difficult (just pie crust, chocolate, and glaze), and I was able to whip them up before heading out the door. Enjoy the recipe. The pictures aren't that pretty (poptart making can be messy), but at least I finally found a way to make them big. I hope I can keep them that way.


Homemade Chocolate Poptarts
makes 4 large poptarts
Crust:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup salted butter
1/4 cup cold water

Filling:
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp oil
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1 tbsp chocolate syrup

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
leftover filling
milk, as needed

Mix the flour and salt. Cut in the butter and then add the water. Mix the ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until just combined. Be careful not to over mix the ingredients, or your crust won't be flaky. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.

Combine the oil and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about a minute, or until melted. Stir in the sugar and syrup.

Roll out the crust into a 10x10 inch square on a lightly floured surface. Cut it in half and then cut each half into 4 equal rectangles. Spread 1 tsp of filling onto half of the rectangles. Top each with one of the other 4 rectangles. Use a fork to push the sides together like your traditional poptart.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack to let them cool before topping with the glaze.

Mix the powdered sugar with just enough milk to make a glaze. It only takes a little. Start with about 1/2 tsp, mix, and then gradually add more until your desired texture is reached. Stir in the remaining filling once you have stuffed your poptarts. Spread the glaze onto each of the cooled poptarts. Top with sprinkles if desired.


 
Here's a poptart that I made for Harper. I topped it with sprinkles and an "H" for her name. My mouth is still too sore for poptarts, but I did manage to get down grits and eggs tonight. Here is yet another smoothie recipe. 



Pineapple Upside Down Cake Smoothie
2 cups fresh pineapple, cuber
1/4 cup oatmeal
1 cup frozen cherries
ice, as needed

Add everything to your blender, and blend until creamy. You can finish off the theme by topping your smoothie with maraschino cherries and whipped cream.


Here are two card ideas using Easter eggs. I'm so glad that the pictures are showing up full sized. You can finally see my hard work! The top picture's border is made with a cool punch that I got for Christmas a couple of years ago. I think it makes such an elegant pattern, but I had never thought about using it on the side of a card before. I think it turned out super cute. The card below was the product of me free handing an Easter basket. The wavy grass was made from another border cutter.




No comments:

Post a Comment