Thursday, March 14, 2013

Happy Pi Day!

Today is March 14, so you know what that means. Pi Day! (If you don't get it, today is 3/14. Pi is 3.14. I hope you can figure out the connection. For this tremendous mathematical day, I have a pie recipe for you along with the normal Saint Patrick's Day recipe. I don't have a green pie, so they have to be separate. What kind of pie would be green anyway? Mint? Spinach? Sounds gross, but who am I to judge? I drink green smoothies.

I think I did a good job on this pie. I sort of improvised the recipe myself, so I was not sure how it would turn out.

Luckily my improvisation turned out successful.

Very successful.


Pinned Image



Applesauce Custard Pie
1- 9 inch pie crust
1 cup applesauce
1 cup milk
3 eggs
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

 Whisk the eggs, sugar, milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract together. Pour the mixture into your pie crust. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Bake at this temperature for 30 minutes and then turn it down to 350 degrees. Bake for an additional 15- 20 minutes. Remove and allow it to cool. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until cool.


Pinned Image

Here is my final play card. This one says "One of a kind!" with stars on either side.
Pinned Image

Pine Nut Porridge
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
2 tbsp fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup chopped onion
½ cup Quaker multi grain hot cereal
¼ cup chicken broth
½ cup water plus 3 tbsp
½ cup spinach
dash of salt
oil, as needed
mozzarella cheese, to taste
 
Saute the onion and garlic in a little oil until lightly browned. Blend together the onion, pine nuts, spinach, parsley, salt, 3 tbsp water, and garlic until a paste forms. Mix together the chicken broth, ½ cup water, and cereal. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir the pine nut paste mixture in with the cereal and microwave for another minute. Top with grated cheese. 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment