Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Baked Bananas Over Tapioca Pudding

Mayotte is an overseas department of France located between Mozambique and Madagascar. There are two main islands, Grande-Terre and Petite-Terre, that are surrounded by some smaller islets.

France has had control of Mayotte since 1843. It's technically part of the Comoros Islands, but unlike its fellow Comorans, the Mahorans did not seek independence. Even today, the people of Mayotte would rather stay a part of France than gain complete autonomy. It's supposed to become part of the European Union on this coming January.

Just under 200,000 people live in Mayotte. The total area the nation takes up is 145 square miles. Mamoudzou is the capital and largest city, with a population of about 53,000.

Today's breakfast is my last breakfast from around the world. I'm done. I've covered every single country (and some places that aren't countries at all) that I'm aware of. Mayotte was probably the hardest place to find a breakfast dish for. (That's why I put it off until the end.) The following recipe utilizes the spices that grow on the islands to bring out the flavor of the tropical bananas and cassava. Now I can finally say that my taste buds have reached the ends of the earth. Tomorrow I'll post a summary of my adventure along with what I have learned along the way.

Pinned Image
 
Baked Bananas
1 large banana
ground cinnamon and cloves, to taste
 
Slice the banana into 1/2 inch thick slices. Coat them with the seasonings. Oil a small baking dish that has a lid. Put the bananas in the dish and cover with the lid. Bake the bananas at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
 
Tapioca Pudding
2 tbsp instant tapioca pearls
2 cups water
 
Mix the water and tapioca. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Microwave for 10 minutes, stirring ever 2-3 minutes. Allow the porridge to cool before topping with the warm bananas.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment