Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Word of Wisdom

Now that I've lost my wisdom teeth, I suppose I do not have any wisdom left to share with you. I guess I'll have to muster up all my remaining wisdom to give you this word of advice. Keep your wisdom teeth in your mouth. It's not worth getting them cut out. It hurts, you can't talk, and you look like a chipmunk. One positive thing that has come from it is that I have tried a few new recipes that I wouldn't have otherwise. I also learned how to use the juicer. (Or more like explode juice everywhere. Using a juicer while on major drugs isn't a good idea.) I also have had some time to relax and catch up on some Sudoku. I guess it takes surgery to get me to slow down and take a break.

Anyway, I had broccoli tahini soup last night a few hours after my surgery. Do you know how hard it is to eat without opening your mouth more than 1/2 an inch? Sydney got to enjoy Winter Jam with her friends last night. I got to enjoy major drugs. I never thought I would appreciate pain killers so much.

Pinned Image

Broccoli Tahini Soup
serves 3-4
1 package frozen broccoli
4 cups chicken broth
3 tbsp tahini
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp onion powder
dash of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste

 Cook the broccoli according to the instructions on the package. Put all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. (At this point, I just ate mine because I couldn’t have anything hot on my stitches. It was good cold, but you can heat yours if desired.) Bring the mixture to a low boil over medium high heat in a pot. Remove and serve.


Even though my mom was with me at the oral surgeon's yesterday and could not help with Harper's class's Easter party, she still got roped in to coming up with the activities. That means that I ended up making them for her since she is a bit craft- challenged. The kids made these cute baskets with eggs. They are similar to a card I made awhile back. I cut out about 80 paper eggs and 25 baskets. My mom cut strips of paper 1 inch thick to weave through the baskets. Using an X-Acto knife, I cut slits to push the strips of paper through. The kids then decorated the baskets with rick rack and glued them to a piece of paper. To finish off, they drew on the basket's handles.




Pinned Image



This was Harper's basket. She said that she had fin making it, but her teacher had to weave all the strips of paper for the kids. I guess paper weaving is too advanced for kindergarteners. Click to see the baskets up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment